Coming Back Stronger after an ACL Tear!
Laura Ney’s Comeback Story- Coming Back Even Stronger After an ACL Tear!
Tearing your anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) can be devastating and leave you feeling defeated and emotionally destroyed. For some, it means the end of their athletic career but for patients that come through Omaha Physical Therapy Institute (OPTI), an ACL tear is an opportunity for a great comeback story.
Laura Ney’s comeback story shows that her ACL injury was just a small bump in the road, not a road block as she was able to overcome the injury and actually achieve more after her injury than prior. In fact, she actually started competing in another sport besides soccer and swimming. Check out her story below!
What was your Injury?
Left knee ACL tear requiring ACL reconstruction surgery.
What was the most challenging aspect to your recovery?
I have a hard time with blood and stitches and that is part of experience right after surgery. I also wanted to compete in swimming within a few months after the surgery but I was having trouble relearning flip turns, and as a 50 free style sprinter those are extremely important to do well in a race. I’m back to swimming now without any issues.
What did you learn from your experience at Omaha Physical Therapy Institute?
The physical therapy process does not have to be painful or even uncomfortable to see results. I learned my limits and how to push myself without taking it too far.
What did you enjoy most about Omaha Physical Therapy Institute?
OPTI makes sure that the experience is enjoyable and pain free. Some of my friends who went to other clinics, experienced painful physical therapy sessions where their legs were forced to bend and straighten. OPTI never forced or pushed me through pain with my injury, but rather gradually worked to get it there in a pain-free way. OPTI also provided me with sport-specific rehab exercises for running, soccer, and swimming which improved my confidence when returning to these sports.
What advice would you give someone that is recovering from an injury?
Do all of the exercises prescribed to you. They will help a lot.
What have you accomplished since coming back from your injury (please list EVERYTHING as we know you have done a ton!)?
I had a successful swim season 5-6 months after my surgery, a successful high school soccer season, competing at the highest level with my club soccer team, playing collegiate soccer, and winning triathlons! See details below.
- State swim meet (four events 6 months after surgery, Personal Record in the 100 freestyle)
- Second place in the state Soccer Tournament with Millard North High School (Second team all-state selection- 8-9 months after)
- U18 Regional runner-up/National qualifier (with Gretna Prima Soccer Team)
- U19 Regional soccer champions/National Champions (with Gretna Prima Soccer Team)
- Great Lakes Valley Conference first team all-conference Women’s Soccer (Junior year at Truman State)
- Began competing in sprint triathlons (on recommendation of OPTI staff) with 6 triathlons completed and 2 National appearances (2017- 8thin age group)