One-on-One Treatment with a Physical Therapist Every Visit!
How to Step On and Off a Curb Using Crutches
May 16, 2021
Listed below is a step-by-step approach on how to safely and properly walk over a curb while using crutches.
Tip: When walking up and down a curb with crutches, remember to go up with good (unaffected leg) and down with bad (affected leg)
Stepping up a curb with crutches:
- 1. Approach the bottom of the curb with one crutch on each side of your body.
- 2. Lift unaffected leg over curb, leaving crutches on ground.
- 3. Next, shift weight on to unaffected leg on curb.
- 4. Lift affected leg and crutches over the curb at the same time.
Stepping off a curb with crutches:
- 1. Approach the curb with one crutch on each side of your body.
- 2. Place weight on to unaffected leg. Slowly step down with affected leg and crutches at the same time.
- 3. Next, step down with unaffected leg.
At Omaha Physical Therapy Institute, we provide pre-operation instruction on crutch fit and use! If you need more assistance on how to properly use crutches, call OPTI today!
Make an Appointment Today! »
Your Comeback Story Starts Here!