General Tips for Starting a Gym Program
VERY GENERAL Gym Rules:
Starting a gym program and making it a priority in your life can seem like a difficult thing to do. Here are some general rules for the gym to help you start your wellness journey with more confidence!
- If you have never been to a gym or are unfamiliar with the equipment, it is a good idea to have a personal trainer or physical therapist educate and instruct you on how to properly use it before diving into a program. Many gyms have personal trainers on staff and are there to assist to maximize your safety.
- When trying any new exercise, first perform it at a low intensity with higher reps, focusing on control and form during it. If it feels good during and after for a couple of days, then progress the load as tolerated.
- Vary or modify your program based off how you feel that day.
- Potentially try alternating muscle groups when doing resistance training (i.e. squatting/bicep curls, hip thrusts/tricep extensions, step ups/military press).
- Make your program simple so it’s easier to be compliant with it.
- Consistency is key when looking for results.
- Make it a priority in your day.
- If you start having pain, don’t stop moving! Adjust and modify your program but keep performing it!
- Trying a group class or having a friend or partner go to the gym with you can assist with your motivation levels and hold you accountable for your participation.
- If you have a history of health issues and have never tried working out before, make sure to consult with a healthcare provider before you start to get some direction on safe and appropriate exercises to perform.
Do yourself and your health a favor and get started on your exercise program today!
Your Comeback Story Starts Here!