5 Tips on How to Safely Get Started on an Exercise Program
Are you ready to make exercise a part of your routine? Are you not sure how to get started safely? Here are a few tips on how to properly get moving and grooving!
- 1. Consult with your doctor or physical therapist. If you have not exercised in a long time or have underlying health issues, it is important to make sure you are physically able to tolerate the demands.
- 2. Ease into it. If you are interested in jogging, walk before you start running. Your body needs to get exposed to the loads placed on it in a slow, graded manner in order to decrease the risk for irritation/pain. The last thing you need is another excuse not to move and groove! For more ideas on a walk to jog program, contact Omaha Physical Therapy Institute today!
- 3. Make it enjoyable and simple. You won’t want to stay consistent with an exercise routine that you don’t like. If you like to be outside, go for a brisk walk. If you are interested in strength training (which is highly recommended for all of the health benefits), make that a part of your routine. Dancing, bicycling, or yoga might be of interest to you…Do what you love!
- 4. Make it a part of your schedule and a priority on your to-do list!
- 5. Exercise with a family member or friend. This will hold you accountable and compliant while possibly making it more enjoyable. Plus, you are being a positive influence on someone else’s health as well!
Remember, you don’t need to belong to a gym or have weights in order to get the health benefits of exercise. Keep it simple and be consistent and before you know it, you will be experiencing all of the wonderful benefits of being an active individual!
For more information on starting an exercise routine, contact Omaha Physical Therapy Institute!
Your Comeback Story Starts Here!